Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Lesson in Portuguese

Matheus, from Brazil, is fighting an uphill battle to help me learn the tiniest bit of Portuguese. Needless to say, I don't know a lot, but here I thought I would give you some of the basics I've learned.

eu = I
você = you
ele/ela = she/he
a gente = we
vocês = you (plural)
eles/elas = they (shes/hes, plural)

sim, não = yes, no

obrigada (f), obrigado (m) = thank you
de nada = you're welcome (well, more literally "of nothing" -- but don't say "você é bem-vinda" after someone thanks you in portuguese)

There are two different verbs "to be" in Portuguese: ser and estar. The first is used for permanent characteristics, like "I am a girl." The second is used for transient descriptions, like "I am in France."

A few useful phrases:

Eu estou com fome = I am hungry
Eu quero comer = I want to eat
Eu gosto de você = I like you

Now imagine saying all of that without making any English sounds. A very, very, very difficult language...



3 comments:

  1. English, French by immersion and then regular class, and also Portuguese.
    Ambitious. Some of it will stick. Especially when you teach it to Noah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I should do that instead; have Noah learn all, then keep him with me at all times!

    ReplyDelete