Thursday, May 24, 2012

Confession

So I'd like to tell you all about how I've become a total food snob here. I'd love to say nothing short of AOC wines and cheeses flips my fancy, and that if it doesn't have duck in it, I just say no. But that's not true at all. Honestly, I've tried to keep away from United States cuisine and chains, and I've been doing well. Until this trip.

This trip I discovered something.

Subway.

Subway is delicious, even in France.

When you are living skinny on a trip, wondering if you'll ever see the color green in your food for the next week, you deal with it. After several months here, I don't expect the French to load on the vegetables when I ask for a sandwich a typical small boulangerie. I will enjoy the bread and the cheese and that will be that.  I just expect to not eat as healthy on vacations (maybe I'll just pick up an apple at Monoprix).

In Paris, I was swept back into what the States call a veggie sandwich. We were on our way to the Eiffel Tower late at night, and as our hunger crept in, we realized we were in the middle of tourist country. No cute ma n pop places here, just fast overpriced crepes and wildly expensive pizza. Matheus suggested Subway. Even a matter of blocks from the Tower, it keeps its menu prices fixed at 2.90 for the 15 cm (6") and 5 euros for the 30 cm (footlong). I grumpily agreed, sad to be ending my streak without any American fastfood but also very hungry. I love Subway in the States, but I did not expect to get suddenly excited as I started my order (yes, I am learning my different vegetables in French). The breads are generally similar, and there were all the same veggies available (except spinach). When I got back to the table, I devoured it. I felt so new, so re-energized from the fresh produce making its way to my stomach.

We got Subway twice more on the trip to the South. I don't regret it at all. They were meals we would have eaten French fastfood anyway (questionable meat and an abundance of fries), so these sandwiches kept me energized and full of nutrients.

We tried getting Subway as our last meal when we arrived back in Compiegne. Matheus was teasing me, because I'd never eaten at ours here -- he was shocked. We were so happy to see the closing time was 11! But, alas... on a Friday night, when it was supposed to be open until 11, the doors were locked and the restaurant cleaned at 10:20.

That's so French.

2 comments:

  1. No salads in the places you eat? Nor hot vegetables with a meal?
    If so that is a big change in the restaurants.
    Down south salade niçoise was a great meal, hope it still is.
    Glad you enjoy that bit of Americana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have salads and hot vegetables -- but if you're looking for a pas-cher sandwich, while they are delicious, they are usually not packed with fresh vegetables.

    ReplyDelete