Monday, February 6, 2012

Pierrefonds & l'Armistice

Château du Pierrefonds

Hello again!

I have had another great week here in France. I'm getting more and more familiar with Compiegne, my French is improving slowly, and my friends just keep getting better!

The intensive course is winding down. This is the last week: Thursday I will give a presentation on the United States in French, and Friday I will take the final. I am looking forward the presentation, because I am using it to show everyone what I love about the United States. It will be tough, since most people know so much about the US already, but there are plenty of good things to include. I spent last night "researching" -- searching Google for images of home, the U of I campus, state parks all over the country, and the famous Springfield Horseshoe. I even found an image of Obama eating a horseshoe! That will definitely make it into the presentation.

"Here, 11 November, 1918, succumbed the criminal pride of the German Reich, vanquished by the free peoples which it tried to enslave."



This past Wednesday, we took a day trip to the site where the Armistice was signed and to the château in the town next to it. The armistice site held several large memorials (my favorite of which is pictured) as well as a very interesting museum dedicated to both World War I and World War II, as the site is also where the French signed the armistice in 1940. The castle at the top of the entry is the one we went to see. It was absolutely marvelous. It certainly had more of a castle-feel than the other palace we had seen. The sun was out, and it was a beautiful day. We explored the grounds around -- there were two catapults out on the hill! Inside, there were many old sculptures and interesting pieces, but in the basement there was a room entirely dedicated to the dead. There were huge stone tombs, with sculptures of their occupants lying on top of them. All I could think of was my conversation with Krista about how strangely we treat our dead -- I can't wait to show her this eery room :)

The temperatures here have been dropping below zero (freezing out the South Americans) for the past week, but we've been fortunate to have bright sunshine instead of rain. Yesterday, I explored the city on my own. I spent well over an hour walking; I had some alone time in the ancient cathedral and explored the grounds of the nearby château. This town is small, but the madness of the short and winding streets requires much exploration to get to know it.

This past weekend, we went to a nearby bar, geared toward campus-life. Since the French students are all on vacation, it was mostly only our group. We had the whole dance floor to ourselves and had a great time! We spent the entire night dancing and laughing together. Most of us have found our new apartments and will be moving out of the temporary apartments. While I'm excited for a real kitchen (and French roommates!!), we are also feeling sad that we will not all be in the same building. It has had a residence hall feel here in the hotel. If we want to see someone, we just knock on their door! People are constantly ringing our bell, moving in and out of the apartment. I'm glad we've had this month to get close; hopefully it will only be reinforced as we spread out!

I'm looking forward to beginning my explorations of France. Our class will be taking a trip á la bus into Paris on Wednesday, and I think it will finally sink in that I am IN FRANCE! Meanwhile, my railpass from my wonderful Aunt Sarah and my new camera on en route, and I will soon be mobile.

 I love you all, and I hope things are well at home! More soon, I promise :)

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great time for you. Sunny days, that is great.
    below 0 degrees Celsius?
    Are you thinking in those numbers already?

    Glad you will be getting your camera soon, maybe before you all go to Paris for the first time?

    The streets do not have orderly Midwest grid pattern, is that what you are saying?
    Madness of short and winding streets, that is a great phrase.

    Folks used to think it was good to be buried in a church, close to any saints or holy relics. But you were in the chateau. One family in that eerie space?

    Bet your talk on Thursday will be great. Bonne chance !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Genevieve!!! I cannot believe you've already been there so long and that your intensive french course is wrapping up already. I just have to say you are so much like Daddy. Your description of the Armistice and other sites was quite detailed...much like he would describe them I'm sure :) It's fun to see that similarity. You two are so much alike haha. Anyway, I miss you a ton! I can't believe you're doing this and you're out there on your own! Sounds like you're doing great...want to hear about the new place. Things are getting busy here, but I have time anytime you want to skype. Love love love you!

    PS. I may have fallen for Jack. He's so suave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aunt sarah -- I'm trying to think in celsius while i'm here :) everyone here is already speaking in celsius, so it makes it easier. my camera unfortunately won't be here tomorrow, but it will arrive before my first big trip on the train :) i'm hoping my first big adventure will be weekend after this one. we haven't decided where yet, though!

    Yes, the streets are not laid out in a nice grid. It makes me appreciate home very much!

    It must have been generations of the family of the castle. It definitely gave it an eery air.

    Allison -- haha i always think of him when i try to describe things! he pays so much attention of detail, i can't do that... i miss you too!! love you too!!!

    oh gooooshhhh i fell for jack ages ago. it's killing me, my internet is too slow to use the vpn here!! making me crazy.

    ReplyDelete